The core workouts below are for an intermediate or intermediate to advanced level. They SOLELY target the core and increase in difficulty, with workout 9 being the most challenging.
ALL PRELOADED ON THE VRX HEADPHONES
- Abdominals/Core Workout 4. 2 sets of 5 exercises. 30 seconds on, 30 seconds rest. 10 minutes total [Intermediate]
The 5 core exercises with this workout are:
1. Butterfly sit ups. Place the soles of your feet together, with knees flared out. Then, whilst lying on your back, bring your hands from over your head, and touch your shoes.
2. Plank. Lie on the floor on your chest, then lift yourself up on your fore arms and toes. Now hold that position with a straight back.
3. Bicycle crunch. Place both hands behind your head. Bring left elbow to right knee. Then right elbow to left knee. Keep alternating, left, right, left, right.
4. Reverse Crunch. Lie on your back, hands behind your head, and keep your head back. Now bring your knees up towards your chest, but keep your upper body lying back. Now return your legs to the extended position. Make tougher by not allowing your feet to touch the floor when returning them to the extended position.
5a. Knees to chest tucks. Lie on your back, hands behind your head, and keep your head back. Now lift your upper body off the floor to meet your knees. Your arms should hug your knees. Then lie back again and extend your legs back down. Make tougher by keeping hands at the side of your head. Make even tougher by not allowing your feet to touch the floor when returning them to the extended position.
5b. [Alternative], Knee raises. Hold yourself on a dips bar [or even two chairs] and raise your knees up to chest height with control. Then extend fully back down. Make tougher by progressing to leg raises where your legs are fully extended straight out [usually hanging from a bar], are raised to the horizontal “L” position and then back down. Both are demonstrated well by Calisthenic Movement here.
- Abdominals/Core Workout 5. 2 sets of 5 exercises. 40 seconds on, 30 seconds rest. 12 minutes total [Intermediate]
This involves the same five core exercises as Workout 4, but each is for 10 seconds longer.
- Abdominals/Core Workout 6. 3 sets of 4 exercises. 40 seconds on, 30 seconds rest. 14 minutes total [Intermediate]
Just four of the five exercises from workout 4, but with 3 rounds [sets] at 30 seconds on each exercise.
- Abdominals/Core Workout 7. 3 sets of 5 exercises. 30 seconds on, 30 seconds rest. 15 minutes total [Intermediate/Advanced]
The full five core exercises are used as in Workout 4 and with 3 rounds [sets].
- Abdominals/Core Workout 8. 3 sets of 5 exercises. 40 seconds on, 30 seconds rest. 17.5 minutes total [Intermediate/Advanced]
The usual five core exercises as from Workout 4 but with 40 seconds on each.
- Abdominals/Core Workout 9. 3 sets of 5 exercises. 40 seconds on, 30 seconds rest. 17.5 minutes total. Includes a tougher type of sit up. [Advanced – tough but no acrobatics!]
Bicycle crunches are substituted here for “Elbows to Knees” sit ups.
Elbows to Knees: Lie flat on your back with hands at the side of your head. Now bring your left elbow up to meet your right knee, lie back down, then bring your right elbow up to meet your left knee. Then lie back. Perform at a good pace. Make tougher by making sure you twist further to make your elbow go past the outside of each knee, rather than just meeting it. Great for narrowing and sculpting the waist line.